Skip to main content
Try Wikispaces Classroom now.
Brand new from Wikispaces.
Pages and Files
Cutting Down on Time Wasters
Effective Time Management
Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation
Learning Styles (Visual Learners, Auditory Learners and Kinesthetic)
Positive Classroom Behaviour
Preparing for Essay Exams
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
Tips for Multiple-Choice Exams
Add "All Pages"
Learning Styles (Visual Learners, Auditory Learners and Kinesthetic)
PART 1 - I
NFORMATION + BIBLIOGRAPHY
Learning style is the way you learn and your various approach to learning and they allow you to work to your best and highest standards. There are many different models of learning styles with the VAK/VARK being one of the most common and widely used (which we are going to look and use in this page and our school.) Different people will have different learning styles and it is important for one to know their learning styles for a more efficient, relaxing and enjoyable studying habit and course.
The VARK/VAK module involves these three:
Learners - Prefer to see things (eg, pictures, diagrams, handouts, slides, brainstorms, etc)
Learners - Prefer to learn through listening (eg, lectures, presentations, lessons, discussions, tapes, etc)
Reading/Writing-preference Learners - Prefers to read and write (eg: take notes, read textbooks, look at websites, etc)
- Prefers to learn with experience, action and movement (eg: experiments, projects, explorations, etc)
Visual learners should learn visually, as they might not be receptive to other teaching methods. It is suggested that visual learners create their own pictures, diagrams and notes, complete with annotations. During exams, visualisation of questions may help you better understand the question and help you answer it.
TIPS FOR VISUAL LEARNERS
- Many visual learners find brainstorms, concept maps, graphs, diagrams, symbols, drawings and charts to be useful because they like to IMAGINE.
- Linking words and showing the relationship of words may be extremely helpful instead of just noting and memorizing.
- Because it may be quite confusing, it is better for visual learners to keep their visualizations (eg diagrams, drawings, charts, etc) to be simple.
- Color Coding or Highlighting/ Underlining/ Circling (Visual learners tend to be attracted to colors and other
- Using flashcards or presentations
- Follow your own way, because this is the best way for you to visualize something.
- Likes colors
- Easier to remember diagrams
- Understands charts easily
- Good with things like sign language
- Likes to use mind maps
- Tend to be better at spelling, less better in orals and listening.
Auditory learners should learn aurally, as they might not be receptive to other teaching methods. It is suggested that auditory learners make records of lessons and notes, so to replay them either physically or mentally during revision. During exams, recalling the sounds of notes and discussions may help you remember an explanation or answer.
TIPS FOR AUDITORY LEARNERS
- Using word assosiation
- Using CDs and videos
- Repeating facts to themselves
- Using tapes
- Participating in group discussions and class discussions.
- Contributes and participates eagerly in class and not afraid to speak in class
- Good at explaining information and instructions to others
- Good at noticifing music and remembering music (tones, movie music, etc)
- Good with languages, especially new ones
(Reading/Writing-preference learners should learn by reading and writing notes of their own, as they might not be receptive to other teaching methods. It is suggested that they take extensive notyes during lessons and lectures, and simplify them later. As students are not allowed to take their notes into exams, they must remember it before they enter examinations.)
Kinesthetic learners should learn with action and experience, as they might not be receptive to other teaching methods. It is suggested that kinesthetic learners learn by performing demonstrations of certain theories which may be hard to understand. A memory of such demonstrations and projects should be sufficient for exams.
TIPS FOR KINESTHETIC LEARNERS
- Studying with friends
- Using learning games
- Flash Cards
- Drama/Role Plays
- Field Trips / exploring out
- Good at sports
- Likes to do experiments or labs
- Likes models
- Likes to act
- Can't sit for long
- Likes adventure books and movies
If you can learn from more than one learning style, by all means, go for it. Learning in different methods can reinforce your knowledge and make you better prepared for exams.
Italics + Gray = Contributed by Xing Jun
QUIZES AND TESTS
Wikipedia. 30 November 2009 <
About. 7 December 2009 <
Learning Styles Online. 14 December 2009 <
University of Victoria. 14 December 2009 <
PART 3 - PLAN
Monday November 2nd
- Create a wikispaces account, choose a topic and link my name to it.
Monday November 9th
- Work on my planning (part 3), hopefully will be able to be half way through my planning by the end of the lesson.
Monday November 16th
- Work on the other half of the planning,. Perhaps by the end of this lesson, I should have finished all of my planning.
Monday November 23rd
- Start researching on my topic and writing on part 1.
Monday November 30th
- Continue on the writing of part 1.
Monday December 7th
- Finish off part 1 and start part 2. FOR HOMEWORK : I would work a bit on part 2.
Monday December 14th
- Finish off the last bit for part 2, soon everything should be finished, so I shall only need to do last changes and editing of the page and by the end of the class, everything should be done.
All work that are not done to be in class shall be done for homework
1. I wish to meet my timeline (above) and successfully finish before the deadline povided,
2. I will create a useful page for others to read and carefully plan the layout and structure of my page.
3. I will use my time efficiently and not waste any time during classtime and time when I can work.
4. I will contribute to other's pages as well as my own.
5. I will work at home when i find myself in need.
6. I will work hard with procrastination and deal with resistance (eg: computer breakdowns, website maintance, technical difficulties, misunderstanding, problems with time management, resources problems, etc)
7. I want my page to look neat, clean and informative so it will not look too messy and unorganized.
SEVEN PRINCIPLES FOR SETTING GOALS
1. DESIRE - Have an intense desire in my mind - I will work hard and finish my page with efficiency, quality and quantity,. I will keep myself focues and try hard to work on it.
2. DEALING WITH RESISTANCE - look below.
3. DEADLINE - meet it.
4. PLANNING - carefully and efficiently
5. MENTAL PICTURES - a clean useful website, like a encyclopaedia. (or wikipaedia, etc(
6. PERSISTANCE - work hard during classtime and use my time wisely
DEALING WITH RESISTANCE
1. Computer breakdown - If one computer breaks (etc at home) then I can try and change one and work at school. And vice versa.
2. Website Maintance - If this web is down, I can go and do some research instead and start typing somewhere else. not using it as an excuse anyhow.
3. Misunderstanding - I shall not leave it to myself but instead I shall ask the people around me or research it on the internet. I shall not be lazy and i will need to try and figure it out as much as possible.
4. Time management - Follow timeline, unfinished work = homework. Do not mess around and use time wisely. Make sure to look at the timeline and be sure and tell myself what i need to get on. Motivation will be needed.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"